Table Of Content
Capital One is considered to be primarily a credit card company, but in recent years, it has expanded its product line to include checking accounts, savings accounts, CDs, and vehicle financing.
From time to time, Capital One offer promotions to attract new customers – especially when it comes to credit cards.
While Capital one offers great interest rates on its savings products as well as advanced checking features, Capital One does not currently have any valid banking promotions.
There are currently no Capital One saving account promotions.
There are currently no promotions for Capital One checking accounts.
Capital One does periodically have promotions for business accounts, but there are no valid offers at this time.
The Spark Cash Plus card offers up to a $1,000 bonus; $500 when you spend $5,000 in the first three months and another $500 if you spend $50,000 in the first six months.
Some offers do have a promotional code, particularly if you’ve received a mailer, so check the promotional material carefully before you open your account
The VentureOne Rewards, Quicksilver Rewards and SavorOne Rewards all offer a 0% introductory rate for 15 months
There are not currently any loan promotions.
The full terms and conditions for each promotion are detailed on the website, but if you’re still unsure you can speak to a member of the support team via the helpline or at one of the branch locations.
Most promotions require that your account remains open and in good standing to receive your bonus. While Capital One may not take back a bonus, you will not receive it if you don’t meet the qualifying criteria.
How to Open a Capital One Bank Account
Capital One makes it easy to open an account online. The entire process only takes approximately five minutes.
- Browse the Product Page: Capital One’s website is quite comprehensive and you’ll find all the available products have complete descriptions which highlight the features, benefits and potential charges. Once you decide on an account, simply click the “Apply” button.
- Complete the Application: You’ll then be directed to an application form, which requires that you provide your full name, address, contact information and other basic details.
- Confirm Your ID: You’ll need to provide verification of your ID and proof of address. This will involve scanning your driver’s license, passport, or Social Security card.
Things to Watch Out
Capital One has limited bank account options, meaning choosing an account is quite simple. However, there are still some things that you need to be aware of.
- Physical Locations: Capital One is one of the largest banks in the U.S, but it has a modest branch network. There are only 755 branches in the United States, including 30 “cafe style” locations. So, unless you’re comfortable performing virtually all your banking activity online, you need to check if there is a physical location in your area.
- ATM Network: While it may lack branches, Capital One customers can access an ATM network of approximately 70,000 machines. This will allow you to perform some transactions outside of the online portal.
- Cash Restrictions: This follows from the previous point, but if you don’t have a branch or ATM in your area, you may be restricted on how you use cash with your Capital One account. In this scenario, you may need to pay some money into another account and transfer the funds to Capital One.
Credit Cards Promotions
Capital One offers a variety of credit cards for different types of purposes – most of them offer a welcome bonus. Here's the list:
WIth the Venture Rewards card, you’ll earn 75,000 miles once they spend $4,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
While this card does still have a reward structure weighted towards Capital One Travel portal purchases, it is designed for the less frequent traveler. The annual fee is more modest and you can earn unlimited miles on every purchase.
Venture X Rewards
The Venture X Rewards credit card offers 75,000 bonus miles once you spend $4,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
This card is a great option for frequent fliers, as the rewards structure is heavily weighted towards travel with the highest rewards on hotels and rental cars booked via the Capital One Travel portal. This should be more than sufficient for frequent fliers to offset the hefty annual fee.
The Quicksilver Rewards offers a one time $200 cash bonus once you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening . There is also a 0% APR introductory rate for the first 15 months on balance transfers and purchases.
This card is designed for those who like to keep things simple and don’t want to pay an annual fee. There is no complicated reward tier structure, you’ll simply earn cash back on every purchase with no limit. You can also use the Quicksilver Rewards as a balance transfer card if you’re carrying a card balance.
The Savor Rewards credit card offers $300 cash bonus once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
While this card does have a modest annual fee, it is designed for everyday use. The tiered reward structure is weighted towards dining, streaming services and grocery store purchases, but you will earn at least 1% cash back on all your purchases
The SavorOne Rewards card offers $200 cash bonus once you spend $500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. There is also a 0% introductory APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers.
If you don’t want to pay the annual fee of the Savor Rewards, this card is a good choice. It offers similar rewards weighted towards dining, streaming services and grocery store purchases, but there is no annual fee.
SavorOne Rewards for Students
The SavorOne rewards for students earns $100 cash bonus if you spend $100 within three months of opening your account.
As the name suggests, the SavorOne Rewards for Students opens up the rewards for students. As with the other Savor cards, the rewards are weighted towards dining, streaming, entertainment and grocery store purchases. While there is no introductory APR, there is no annual fee and this card only requires fair credit.
The VentureOne Rewards card offers a 20,000 mile bonus, worth approximately $200 when you spend $500 in the first three months. There is also a 0% APR for the first 15 months on purchases and balance transfers.
This card has no annual fee and it is designed as an everyday card. While you can earn a high miles reward rate for Capital One Travel purchases, you’ll earn unlimited miles on all your purchases. With its introductory rate, it is also a good choice for those who are carrying a credit card balance.
Quicksilver Rewards for Students
The Quicksilver Rewards for Students card offers a $100 bonus when you spend $100 in the first three months of card ownership.
As with the mainstream Quicksilver Rewards card, this student card offers cash back on every purchase with no spending caps or complicated categories.
Spark Cash Plus
The Spark Cash Plus card offers a $1,000 bonus. You’ll get $500 when you spend $5,000 in the first three months with a further $500 if you spend $50,000 in the first six months.
This card does have an annual fee, but there is unlimited cash back on all your purchases with no preset spending limit. This makes it a flexible card that is ideal for those who have the ability to repay their entire balance every month.
Spark Cash Select
The Spark Cash Select credit card offers a $500 bonus if you spend $4,500 within the first three months of opening your account.
This card is great for those who enjoy flexibility. There is no annual fee and you’ll earn cash back on every purchase with no spending caps or reward categories.
The Spark Miles card offers a 50,000 mile bonus, worth approximately $500 if you spend $4,500 within three months of opening your account. Additionally, the $95 annual fee is waived for the first year.
This card is a great option for infrequent travelers. You’ll earn miles on every purchase, without being tied into only earning rewards for travel purchases. So you can use your rewards from everyday purchases to save up for your future travel plans.
Spark Miles Select
The Spark Miles Select offers a 20,000 miles bonus worth approximately $200 if you spend $3,000 in the first three months. There is also a 0% introductory APR for nine months.
This card is another flexible card to help you to save for your future travel plans. The reward rate is lower than the Spark Miles card, but there is no annual fee.
How to Pick the Best Capital One Credit Card
With so many credit card options, particularly those with promotional offers and rates, choosing a new Capital One card can be a little challenging. However, there are a few considerations that can help you to narrow down your choices.
- Miles or Cash Back: The first thing you need to consider is whether you prefer to earn cash back or miles. While miles may be redeemed for statement credit or cash, depending on the card, it is not at the best redemption rate. So, if you have no future plans to travel, you’ll be better with a card offering cash back.
- Basic Rewards or Reward Categories: Next, you need to consider if you prefer the simplicity of a basic rewards card or can manage reward categories. Typically, basic reward cards offer a lower reward rate on all your purchases, but you don’t need to worry about whether you are spending in a higher rewarding category. However, if you typically spend in certain categories, you will benefit from a card with a tiered reward structure.
- 0% Intro Rate: A number of the Capital One credit cards have a promotional 0% rate for an introductory period. This is ideal if you’re carrying a balance on another card, as you can pay it down without paying interest.
- Annual Fee: Finally, you need to consider whether you are prepared to pay an annual fee. While cards with an annual fee typically offer higher rewards, you need to be confident that the card rewards and benefits will more than offset the fee. You can also take a look at some no-annual fee cards.