Table Of Content
U.S Bank has a comprehensive line of financial products, but periodically, it also sweetens the deal with some great promotions. Before diving into the details, here are the main questions our readers ask when it comes to US bank prmotions:
US Bank does not currently have any savings account promotions.
Yes, you can earn a bonus if you open an Easy, Gold or Platinum checking account and meet the promotional criteria. More on this promotion below.
Yes, you can earn a bonus with the U.S Bank Business Checking Account. More on this promotion below.
The $400 personal checking bonus.
The Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite offers points worth $750 on travel purchases if you spend $4,500 within 90 days of opening your card account
You may not need to use a promo code, but if you’re asked for one, use “2022JUL” for personal accounts and “Q2BUS22” for business accounts.
There is not currently a CD promotion.
Currently, there are no U.S Bank brokerage promotions.
The VIsa Platinum card has minimal perks, but you can enjoy 0% APR for 20 billing cycles after opening your account.
There are not currently any loan promotions.
There are full terms and conditions for each promotion on the website, but if you’re still unsure you can speak to a member of the customer support team via the helpline or in branch.
Yes, you need to keep your account open and in good standing or U.S Bank may reclaim your bonus.
US Bank offers promotions on both personal and business checking accounts. Here are the main things you should know on each of them:
U.S Bank Checking
U.S Bank Checking
Bonus: You can earn a $400 bonus if you open a new Easy, Gold or Platinum Checking account. You will receive your bonus within 60 days of completing the requirements.
Requirements: To qualify for the bonus you need to open an Easy, Gold or Platinum checking account online, at a branch or over the phone with a minimum deposit of $25, using the promo code (updated every month). You will then need to enroll in online banking or install the U.S Bank mobile app. Finally, you need to complete at least two direct deposits within 60 days with a total of at least $4,000.
Product Info: Since this promotion applies to three types of checking accounts, you can choose which one best fits your needs.
- The Easy Checking account is a basic account that carries a $6.95 monthly maintenance fee. This can be waived if you are aged 65+, maintain an average balance of at least $1,500 or have combined monthly deposits of $1,000 or more.
- The Gold Checking account has no ATM fees for U.S Bank ATMs and the first two non U.S Bank ATMs per month. The account has a $14.95 monthly fee, which can be waived if you have an active U.S Bank credit card, line of credit or personal loan.
- The Platinum Checking account offers the best rates and rewards from U.S Bank. This includes earning interest on your balance, no fees for overdraft protection transfers and ways to waive overdraft fees. The account has a $24.95 maintenance fee, which can be waived if you have $25,000 in combined personal deposit balances with U.S Bank and or U.S Bancorp Investments or if you have a U.S Bank Wealth Management personal trust relationship.
Terms & Conditions: Your account needs to be open with a positive balance to receive the sign up bonus.
Amex Business Checking
U.S Bank Business Checking
Promo: You can earn a $300 bonus when you open a Business Checking account. You can expect to have your bonus deposited into your new account within 45 days of verification that you’ve met the promotional criteria.
Requirements: To qualify, you need to open a U.S Bank Silver, Gold, or Platinum Business Checking Account with at least $100 deposit. You should use the promo code “Q2BUS22” when opening the account.
You must make new deposits of $3,000+ within 30 days of opening the account and maintain a minimum balance of $3,000 for at least the first 60 days. You also need to complete five qualifying transactions within 60 days.
These include, Bill Pay, Mobile Check Deposits, ACH credits, Merchant deposits, Wires or debit card purchases. An individual signer also needs to enroll in online banking or the U.S Bank mobile app within 60 days.
Product Info: There are three types of business checking accounts:
- The Silver Business Checking account is designed for small or new businesses to cover basic banking needs. There is no monthly maintenance fee and the package includes 125 free transactions per month.
- The Gold Business Checking account is designed for those businesses who conduct more banking activities. The account includes 300 free transactions per month and there is a $20 monthly maintenance fee. However, this can be waived if you have an average collected check balance of $10k, $20k in combined average collected deposit balances, or $50k combined average collected business deposits and outstanding business credit balances.
- The Platinum Business Checking account is designed for businesses with higher balances. It includes 500 free transactions per month with a $30 monthly maintenance fee. This can be waived with $25,000 average collected checking balance or $75,000 combined average collected business deposits and outstanding business credits.
Terms and Conditions: There is a limit of one business checking bonus per business. You will only receive the bonus if the account remains open and has a positive balance. You cannot combine this with any other business checking bonus offers or if you are an existing customer.
How to Open a U.S Bank Account
You can open a U.S Bank account in a branch, on the phone, or online. To apply online:
- Click on the “Apply” link: Each product has a learn more button and an application link. If you click “Apply,” you’ll be immediately redirected to the application form.
- Complete the Application Form: You’ll need to provide basic details, including your full name, address, date of birth, Social Security Number, email address, and phone number. You will also have the option to add a co-owner to the account.
- Confirm Your Citizenship: The application also requires that you indicate your country of citizenship and permanent residence.
- Submit: There is a save option at each application stage. Once you have completed the application, you need to click submit, and U.S Bank will process it.
If you are still not sure how to open a checking account and if you're qualified, review the usual checking account requirements or reach out to US bank customer service if you face a specific problem.
Things to Watch for When Choosing a U.S Bank Account
U.S Bank has three main checking accounts, but there are a few things to watch out for when choosing which account is best for you.
- ATM Fees: U.S Bank accounts have no ATM fees for U.S Bank network machines, and some offer reimbursement for non network machines. However, with the Easy Checking account, there is no reimbursement for non network machines. So, if you don’t have U.S Bank machines in your area, you need to consider whether you will need to pay non network fees.
- Fee Waiver Criteria: All U.S Bank accounts have a monthly maintenance fee, which can be waived if you meet the criteria. So, check the appropriate criteria and ensure you can comfortably meet them monthly.
- Overdraft Charges: There are typically several ways to deal with overdraft situations, but you may incur fees. So, you need to be aware of these potential charges, which vary according to the type of account.
- Qualifying Transactions: If you need a minimum amount of direct deposits to qualify for your bonus, you must be aware of what is considered a direct deposit. U.S Bank classes electronic deposits of government benefits of paychecks from an employer as qualifying direct deposits. However, other electronic deposits or person-to-person payments will not count.
- The Promo Code: In some circumstances, you will be automatically enrolled in the promotions, but if you need to provide a code, be sure to use the correct promo code.”
US Bank Credit Cards Promotions
U.S Bank has a wide selection of credit cards and many have welcome bonuses or promotions. These include:
Altitude Go Visa Signature
The Altitude Go Visa Signature offers 20,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in eligible purchases within the first 90 days of account opening. There is also a 0% APR intro rate for the first 12 billing cycles on purchases and balance transfers.
This card is a good option for those who want a reward card for everyday spending without an annual fee. It has a tiered reward structure, weighted towards dining and restaurant purchases, but you can earn at least one point per dollar on all your purchases.
You can redeem your points with Real Time Rewards. This allows you to shop almost anywhere and then redeem your points via SMS instantly. Your redemptions appear on your monthly statement as credits.
This card has the U.S Bank’s best introductory rate, as there is 0% APR for 20 billing cycles on purchases and balance transfers.
The Visa Platinum card is a great option for those who want to pay down a credit card or if you’re planning on making a large purchase. The card has no annual fee and you’ll have a long period with no interest. You can also benefit from up to $1,200 of annual cell phone protection if you pay your monthly cell bill with your card.
Cash+ Visa Signature
The Cash+ Visa Signature offers $200 rewards bonus after you apply online and spend $500 in eligible purchases within the first 90 days of account opening. There is also a 0% APR introductory rate for the first 15 billing cycles on balance transfers.
This card is a great option for those who are looking for great flexibility. The card has a tiered reward structure, but you can choose and activate your own Cash+ categories. You can choose two categories for the highest rewards, and one category for the middle tier with one percent on all other purchases. The card also has no annual fee.
Another perk of this card is the flexible redemption. You can receive your accumulated cash back as a direct deposit into your U.S Bank savings or checking account, as statement credit or request a rewards card.
Altitude Connect Visa Signature
This card offers 50,000 bonus points worth $500 when you spend $2,000 in the first 120 days.
The Altitude Connect Visa Signature is geared toward travelers. Not only is the tiered reward structure weighted towards car rentals, prepaid hotels, and other purchases made through the Altitude Rewards Center, but there are other travel perks.
These include no foreign transaction fees, up to $100 in reimbursement for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, and up to $600 in cell phone protection if you pay your monthly cell bill using your card.
However, while there is no annual fee for the first year, a $95 per year fee applies after this. While this card may be geared towards travelers, you can redeem your rewards for not only travel but also cash back, merchandise, gift cards, and more.
Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite
The Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite offers 50,000 bonus points worth $750 in travel if you spend $4,500 in the first 90 days of opening your account.
This card is marketed towards frequent travelers. The tiered reward structure is geared towards travel purchases, but you can also earn up to $325 in credit reimbursements each year for eligible travel, and dining purchases.
However, what really makes the $400 annual fee worthwhile is the exclusive perks offered. These include complimentary Priority Pass Select for airport lounge access, up to $100 in reimbursement for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fees, no foreign transaction fees, and access to the Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection.
You can redeem your rewards for travel, merchandise, cash back, or gift cards. There is also the option to instantly redeem your rewards with Real Time Rewards for almost any purchase.
FlexPerks Gold American Express
You can earn a 30,000 FlexPoints bonus, which is worth $450 when used for airfare, car rentals, hotel stays, and more. To qualify, you need to spend $2,000 on eligible purchases within four months of opening your account.
This card is a good option for travelers. There is a tiered reward structure weighted towards travel, but you’ll also get automatic statement credit as reimbursement for your Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee. There is also complimentary Boingo WIFI at over one million hotspots around the world including select hotels and airlines.
How to Pick the Best U.S Bank Card
U.S Bank has a smaller selection of credit cards compared to many mainstream banks, but it still can be a little tricky to choose which card is best for you.
Fortunately, there are a few things to watch out for which can help you narrow down the options.
- Annual Fee: First and foremost, you need to look at the annual fee. While many of the U.S Bank cards have no annual fee, if you want access to greater perks, you will need to be prepared to pay an annual fee.
- Set or Flexible Reward Categories: You will also need to consider whether you would benefit from the set reward categories or if you would prefer to tailor the card to your specific spending patterns.
- Intro 0% APR Period: It is also worth looking at if the card offers a 0% APR period and for how long. If you’re planning a large purchase or want to pay down a balance, a longer 0% rate will be highly beneficial. However, this may come at the cost of card perks.
- Unsecured or Secured: Finally, if you don’t have great credit, you can still earn rewards with U.S Bank. This bank has several secured card options that allow you to earn rewards and build your credit.