Table Of Content
Can I Add an Authorized User to My Amex Gold Credit Card?
You can add authorized users to your American Express Gold credit card. You can do so online or by phone. You must provide the user's name, SSN, and date of birth. You can make anyone an authorized user on your Amex Gold card, as long as they are 13 years old and above.
After adding authorized users to your Amex Gold card, they receive their card after two weeks. The card is sent to your mailing address, and the authorized user's card is linked to your account.
When you add an authorized user to your American Express Gold credit card, they have full access to your account's credit limit.
How to Add an Authorized User to Amex Gold Card?
Whether it is your child, spouse, or personal assistant, you can add authorized users to your Amex Gold card online or by phone.
Here are the steps for adding an authorized user to your American Express Gold card online.
- Log into your online account: Logging into your Amex Gold card account gives you access to the services that will enable you to add an authorized user. After logging in, click the ‘Account Services' tab in the upper part of the website’s menu.
- Click on ‘Manage Other Users: Under the ‘manage other users' tab, navigate to ‘add someone to your account.’ Next, you are prompted to choose the card to which you are adding an authorized user. After selecting the right account, click ‘Continue.'
- Enter the user's details: Once you click on ‘Continue,' you will be redirected to the form for the Gold card. Click on ‘Add a new card member to your account.' You will see a form that expands where you fill in the user's personal information. You will fill in the user's full name, date of birth, and Social Security Number.
- Click on ‘Agree and Submit: After filling out the personal information, add the user by clicking on ‘agree and submit.' After adding the user, you must wait between 7-10 business days for the new card to arrive.
After receiving it, activate it to make it usable.
When adding authorized users to your Amex Gold card, remember that all transactions are your responsibility as the primary cardholder.
Therefore, if you have concerns about authorized users spending too much on the card, you can set spending limits for them or remove them altogether.
20.74% - 28.74% Variable
Balance Transfer Fee
Editorial Note: Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollments may be required for select benefits. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more
How American Express Gold Authorized Users Work?
One of the Amex card's main benefits is adding up to five authorized users for free. After that, you'll need to pay a $35 annual fee per additional user card.
All the authorized users on your Amex Gold can use your credit card account for different purposes. Every purchase they make goes to your account, but they are not responsible for the charges.
Authorized users can earn rewards and make payments but cannot set a spending limit or redeem rewards. Also, there is no credit check for authorized users.
It is important to add authorized users that you trust can use your account responsibly. This is because the users benefit from the addition, not you. Also, the users have full access to your account's credit limit.
When you make prompt payments, it helps to improve your credit score and the authorized users.' You or the authorized user can request for their removal from your credit card account.
Benefits of Amex Gold Authorized Users
There are different reasons for becoming an authorized user on someone's Amex Gold card. Also, there are benefits that primary cardholders enjoy when they have an authorized user added to their accounts.
Below are the benefits of American Express Gold authorized users.
Amex Gold allows up to five authorized users at no additional fees. This helps save on annual fees, which every holder could have paid for their own Amex Gold card.
Having one American Express Gold card for everyday purchases and adding household members as authorized users helps manage your household's spending. Amex Gold card allows you to set limits and apply filtering to manage expenses.
Also, you can use detailed statements on your account to track everyone's spending.
When you add authorized users to your Amex Gold card, you allow them to get extra benefits. For example, you earn points, and it becomes difficult to miss out on great rewards.
Any spending by authorized users will help you qualify for Amex Gold welcome bonus. As of March 2023, the Amex Gold welcome bonus includes 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
Any spending by authorized users on your American Express Gold card counts towards bonus categories. More spending by authorized users helps in gaining more bonus points.
When you add authorized users to your Amex Gold card, you give them access to Amex offers. The card has lucrative offers on discounts and bonus points.
Does Authorized User Help Build Credit?
Adding an authorized user to your American Express Gold credit card can help the authorized users build or improve their credit scores.
Since overspending may adversely affect your credit score, you can set limits to prevent authorized users from overspending. Moreover, adding authorized users can help you build your credit history and increase your score.
You may get a credit card and additional perks for which you may not have qualified.
How to Remove Authorized User on Amex Gold?
American Express gives primary cardholders control over the authorized users on their Gold credit card account. Also, the financial institution allows you to check the balances on the authorized user's cards at any time.
If you are not pleased with how an authorized user uses the card, you can easily remove them from your Amex Gold credit card account. You can remove an authorized issuer online or by phone on American Express Gold.
- Online: To remove an authorized user online, you must log into your Amex Gold credit card account and navigate through the ‘Manage other users' tab to select the user to remove from your account.
- By Phone. Also, you can remove an authorized user by calling the number at the back of the Amex Gold card and requesting a particular user to be removed.
Although removing an authorized user is easy, it is a good idea to let the users know before you remove them from your Amex Gold credit card account.
What Benefits Aren't Available to Amex Gold Authorized Users?
Adding an authorized user to your Amex Gold credit card account has numerous benefits. However, the benefits awarded to authorized users are limited.
Below are the benefits unavailable to authorized users on an Amex Gold credit card.
- Redeeming rewards. Although authorized users earn rewards when they use their cards, they cannot redeem them – redeeming Amex rewards can be done only by the account owner.
- Dining credit. American Express Gold card offers monthly statement credits towards dining at specific merchants. The purchases made by authorized users count towards the dining credit, but they do not get their dining credit every month.
- Uber cash. The Gold card offers Uber cash distributed every month and is valid for Uber rides, and Uber eats. Authorized do not get their unique credits.
Alternatives to Amex Gold Authorized User
You can add an authorized user to many credit cards. However, premium cards may require higher fees and have more restrictions. Here's a summary of some of the top tier cards who allow authorized users:
Authorized User Annual Fee
$175 for up to 3 additional Platinum cards, then $175 per additional Platinum card (see rates & fees)
Free for the first 5 people
Free for up to the first 10 users